Recently, though, I’ve been thinking about ricotta cheese.
I’ve found that buttermilk practically never goes bad (at least in my experience – I had a bottle that expired in mid-December and I finally used up the last of it on February 17th in a batch of pancakes (I generally don’t mention this to Bart who is deeply hesitant about expired dairy products).
Ricotta cheese, though, has a pretty short shelf life. Which means once I buy a container of it, I’m scrambling like a crazy person to use it up before mold shows up.
(Also, I never really liked ricotta cheese until we moved to North Carolina and I don’t know what’s different about the Kroger brand, but. . .I could eat that stuff plain (obviously I buy the whole milk version)).
what to do with leftover ricotta
- Green Calzones – This is my go-to dinner when I’m trying to use up vegetables.
- Stuffed Cannoli French Toast – Cannolis had zero appeal to me until I had one at Mike’s Pastry in Boston. Life changing. Four years later, we’re still talking about them. Who wouldn’t want one for breakfast?
- Baked Manicotti – I love this recipe not only because it is delicious but because it also uses lasagna noodles instead of manicotti shells (I can’t be the only person who hates stuffing (or attempting to stuff) filling into those tubes)
- Kale and Ricotta Omelet – Eggs are one of my favorite things because they can be breakfast or dinner. Or lunch.
- Crepes with Whipped Meyer Lemon Ricotta – Never met a crepe I didn’t like. Also, I need to be neighbors with Elizabeth so I can steal some meyer lemons from her.
- Lasagna Grilled Cheese – I make these ALL the time. And I never get tired of them (sometimes I add a smear of ricotta to my regular cheddar grilled cheese too. Just for fun).
- Honey Ricotta Ice Cream – Just about time to roll out the ice cream maker again. Would it be weird to pack that for the summer when we leave for Bart’s internship?
- Orange Ricotta Chocolate Chip Pancakes – Like buttermilk, ricotta is a great addition to pancakes.
- Blueberry Pizza with Whipped Ricotta – Bart was dubious about pizza with fruit until I made this strawberry pizza last summer. So I’m pretty sure I could convince him on this one.
- Pesto and Sausage Baked Ziti – I’m really into sausage right now. This one is on my menu for next week.