My heart was so heavy yesterday after waking up to hear about the shooting in Las Vegas.
All of the tragedies in the past few months have made the world seem so bleak, and it’s easy to focus on all the scary and uncertain things in life.
But I don’t want to live a life of fear or feeling like the world is evil.
I took the girls to IKEA yesterday, and as we were eating lunch, we were greeted by the kindest cashier who told me all about how she’s so anxious for her daughter to have children so she can have a grandchild, and then in the elevator, three elderly couples shopping together said the nicest things to my girls who were bouncing around like little crazies, and as Star and I ate a pretend meal of spaghetti and meatballs at a tiny display table while the big girls were in Smalland, a woman in her early twenties stopped to chat with Star and let Star look at her Halloween sweater.
The world is full of good people and I’m trying as hard as I can to be one of those good people and raise four more good people.
Because I can’t control what other people do, but I can make a difference in my own home and in the way I treat anyone I come in contact with.
And because I want to focus on good things, here are some things that are making me happy from the big to the totally minor.
- Wonderful neighbors. Our neighbors are an older couple with grandchildren in other states, and they’ve been gone visiting them for many weeks. My girls are SO happy that they are finally home and this sweet older couple lets them come over to show off art projects, try out new knock-knock jokes, and demonstrate new dance moves. I grew up with pseudo-grandparents across the street, and I am so happy that my girls have the same thing here (except Star is terrified of their teeny shy dog and refuses to go over).
- London Littles.We had an amazing launch day on Friday and it’s been so exciting to start shipping those first orders. Thank you all so so much for your support and enthusiasm – I was so touched by all the people who shared on Facebook and Instagram and said the kindest things about our rain boots. I appreciate it more than I can express.
- Fall break. My girls have the next couple of weeks off of school (as a reward for starting school in July . . . ) and it’s so nice to have more relaxed mornings, no lunches to pack, and no school drop-off and pick-up. And I just love the time to work on puzzles, read books together, and talk endlessly about Halloween costumes (your kids too?).
- Simply on Purpose. My dear friend Ralphie started an Instagram account earlier this year all about parenting, and she is SO inspiring. Her InstaStories with specific ideas for how to be a more patient, loving parent and create a culture of love, peace, and growth in your home are just incredibly good. If you aren’t following along, I highly recommend you do – I’ve learned so much from her and every time I implement a new idea from her, I see immediate positive results.
- Cooler weather. I mean, it’s still in the high nineties, but at least it’s not in the triple digits.
- New carpet in our basement. I’ve been waiting to replace this carpet for the last two years and now that it’s finally done, I feel like we basically have a new house. I love that new carpet smell and I really love having that green carpet gone. I can’t wait to get the basement finished (I keep looking at these renderings and getting all giddy with excitement).
- A new book by E. Lockhart. Her book The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks is one of my all-time favorite books, and even though I thought We Were Liars was not all that great, I can’t help but pick up her newest one, Genuine Fraud.
What’s good in your life right now?
Photos by Christie Knight