Wild Rice and Cherry Salad
- 1/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups baby spinach stems trimmed
- 1/3 cup pecan halves toasted (or candied, if you're feeling awesome)
- 1 cup fresh cherries pitted and halved
- 2 Tb olive oil
- 2 Tb balsamic vinegar
- 4 oz goat cheese crumbled
- A few basil leaves sliced (Bart strongly dislikes fresh basil, and he immediately commented on it, asking that next time I leave it out).
Combine both rices and water in a saucepan, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stir once, reduce heat to low, cover and let cook about 45-60 minutes, until most or all of the water is absorbed and rice is soft.
Drain rice if needed and return to saucepan.
Add spinach to saucepan and cover for about two minutes until spinach is slightly wilted.
Make the cherry vinaigrette by combining 1/2 of the cherries, olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, and 1/8 teaspoon of salt in a blender or food processor and blending until smooth. Add most of the dressing to the saucepan and stir to combine.
Add pecans and most of the remaining cherries. Salt as needed.
Pour into a serving dish.
Top with the remaining cherries, the remaining dressing, the goat cheese and the basil.