vegetarian calzone recipe
I love a steaming hot calzone stuffed with loads of vegetables and cheese. This vegetarian calzone recipe is perfect for an empty stomach and quiet night in!
- 1/2 batch of pizza dough see recipe I use linked below
- 3-4 T pesto you'll probably want to make your own if possible and do little or no oil because otherwise the oil will soak the bottom of your calzone
- 1 grated squash I've used zucchini and yellow squash and a combination of them both all with success
- 1 cup packed greens spinach, chard, etc - if you're using a tougher green like kale, give it a little steam first
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded or sliced cheese I like mozzarella or monterey jack or a combo of the two
- Dipping sauce I like ranch (see recipe linked below), Bart likes marinara
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
In a mixing bowl, combine squash, greens, and ricotta cheese; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Divide your dough into four equal portions. Roll each one out into a circle, about six inches wide or so.
Spread a thin layer of pesto on half of the circle (leave an un-pesto-ed rim around the edge). Scoop a quarter of the squash mixture on top of the pesto half of the dough. Top with a quarter of the sliced or shredded cheese. Fold the plain side of the dough circle over the top of the cheese, crimp the dough edges with a fork and then prick the top a couple of times too.
Repeat with remaining dough, pesto, filling, and cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Let cool for a few minutes before serving with dipping sauces.
(adapted from Healthy Food for Living)
if you liked this vegetarian calzone recipe, you might like these other recipes:
- Vegetarian Roasted Tomato and Goat Cheese Alfredo
- Vegetarian Zucchini Pizza
- How to Make Homemade Pizza Dough