I have Christmas Card angst. And I can’t imagine that I’m alone.
It pains me to toss pictures of people I love (pictures they’ve spent money to send to me) in the
recycling bin trash can.
But, I also am not really interested in keeping stacks of dusty cards for years. My clutter-phobic self can’t quite allow it.
This year, though, I stumbled on a solution that has brought me a tremendous amount of satisfaction.
I put the cards on top of the fridge after Christmas, where I couldn’t see them and they weren’t in the way.
And then, last weekend, when Ella and I were home with a long afternoon before us, we made a Valentine’s banner.
I loved this project because it spotlighted many friends and family that I love, it used up materials I already had, most of which were already full of cheerful patterns and on nice paper, and it made our house feel festive and happy.
Behold: My Valentine’s Day Banner.
This was an easy little project. I printed out a heart template (because the colors and designs of the cards were so varied, I chose to go with a single pattern. But I think it’d look fun too with multiple heart shapes). I traced the heart onto the cards, and then cut them out.
I used a couple of wedding announcements in addition to the Christmas cards and on some cards I cut out two hearts if space allowed, which resulted in a total of 40 hearts. In some cases, I just had to let some people’s heads get cut off because of the placement on the card. I hope my nephew forgives me for only including part of his lower right cheek in his family’s card.
After they were all cut out, I laid them out in a double row so that I was happy with the arrangement of colors and designs (I wasn’t very picky, but I didn’t want it to be ten non-photos in a row at one end). (You can also see how many toys and books were required to keep Ella happy near the end of this project when she got tired of sorting leftover paper from hearts).
Then I taped twine to the back of each heart. I did the twine about 3/4 of the way up and also taped them horizontally so that they wouldn’t spin on the twine too much (I originally did it vertically and they were spinning all over the place). Also, I left about 6 inches of extra twine on each end.
And then I wrapped the twine around some tacks, and tacked both strands on the wall. I used a little bit of photo tack under about six photos to keep it laying flat against the wall. I trimmed off the extra twine so it wasn’t distracting and voila!
Virtually free holiday decoration! And then, after Valentine’s, I think I’ll have no problem tossing the whole thing in the trash.