Blogger’s spellcheck clearly out of touch with what is popular on Pinterest these days – it does not recognize quinoa as a word (of course, I was completely paranoid that I was spelling it wrong and double-checked).
Fortunately, I had spelled it right (and then I spelled that “right” as “write” so, you know, I am pretty much brilliant).
As you well know, I love anything I can make in a crockpot. Bonus points if it’s cheap to make. And doesn’t require any fussy steps. (By the way, I cooked my beans in the crockpot for about two hours and then rinsed them and moved ahead with the recipe as written, pretending they were canned beans. Feel free to go either way).
Also, this recipe is vegan, but when I served it, Ella said, before even taking a bite, “I think I want some cheese on this. And sour cream. Because that’s yummy.”
Well. I have clearly raised her right.
Crockpot Quinoa Chili
- 1 15- ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15- ounce can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 14- ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 4- ounce can diced mild green chiles
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2-3 cups vegetable broth use the higher amount if your crockpot runs hot or you'll be cooking it longer than about 6 hours
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 bell pepper I used red, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder I used garlic salt because my beans weren't cooked in any salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 cup quinoa rinsed throughly
- Guacamole shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, etc for serving
Combine all ingredients (except the toppings, obviously) in a crockpot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Stir to combine, salt and pepper to taste, and serve with your choice of toppings. I won't judge if they aren't vegan.
(adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything)