A few months ago, some friends and I went to a church event together and afterwards went to McDonald’s for a little treat.
I got some french fries and was horrified to discover that I no longer liked McDonald’s french fries (also, I know this was a not a fluke because I’d, erm, had some of their french fries just a couple of weeks earlier and noticed that they had this horrible metallic aftertaste).
And, really, this wasn’t an isolated experience. As I’ve gotten older and also as we’ve moved away from processed foods and toward more of a whole foods diet, there are more and more items that I used to like that I no longer have a taste for.
But. . . there are still some horribly junky, processed foods I still love. No matter how much I read about the Western Diet and how we’re on a one-way street to death, no matter how much swiss chard I happily consume, I still love some pretty horrible foods. And I like it.
A brief list, if you will, of foods that I willfully ignore the ingredient labels for:
- Ramen. I know. I just. . .can’t help myself.
- Poptarts. Especially those brown sugar and cinnamon ones and the frosted strawberry ones.
- Cheetos. Only the crunchy ones. But, LOTS of the crunchy ones.
- Rice Krispy Treats. Look, I’ll eat homemade ones or the disgustingly wonderful ones that come packaged from the store. I do not discriminate.
- Fresca. I am deeply opposed to fake sugar. And I don’t even really go for soda. But if someone brings a bottle of Fresca, I will be forced to have some.
- Swiss Rolls. These must be eaten in the following manner: all chocolate coating eaten off. Then the cake unrolled and frosting licked out. Finally eat the cake. I don’t make the rules, I just follow them.
- Teddy Grahams. What, am I five? Yes. Cinnamon, please.
- JIF peanut butter. We only buy natural peanut butter with a two-ingredient list and I like it. But then occasionally I’ll have some regular, corn-syrup laden peanut butter somewhere and I die a little at how much better it is. So smooth and creamy and sweet.
Feel free to share your shameful delicious favorites. Because what I really need right now is a list of more things to crave from the grocery store.