CodeSpark Academy is a fantastic coding program for beginners – no reading necessary! My kids have loved learning how to create their own programs and solve problems in a super fun way. Plus, you can try it for 2 months for only $5!
Have you heard of CodeSpark?
It was new to me until last summer when I downloaded a free trial and then we turned into paying customers!
CodeSpark is a coding program designed for kids ages 5-9 and I am SO impressed with it.
We started using it last year during the summer – my three younger girls all had Savvy Reading classes back-to-back so while one did Savvy Reading, the other two do CodeSpark.
And we’ve all LOVED it.
Last week, when we were doing some of our summer planning, one of the younger girls said, “Remember how we did CodeSpark last summer? Can we do that again?”
And you bet I re-signed up immediately (the fact that it was $5 for 2 months didn’t hurt either!).
CodeSpark is designed to help kids learn how coding works through problem-solving, block coding, and sequencing.
I love that it’s super interactive, easy to use (I just don’t have time to deal with something complicated), and very engaging.
It’s a little basic for Ella who is nearly twelve but my other three girls LOVE it.
Why I Love CodeSpark
Here are a few things I love about CodeSpark:
- You can use it on a tablet or computer or phone. My girls do it either on one of the laptops or on our Samsung Galaxy tablet. I love that pretty much no matter what you device you have, CodeSpark will work on it.
- You don’t have to be able to read to use it. This is a tricky thing with many coding programs for younger children – they just can’t really manage them by themselves. I love that CodeSpark is completely visual so that if you have a pre-reader or a struggling reader, they’re still completely able to use CodeSpark.
- You can have up to three child accounts with one membership. You can create up to three separate accounts so three different children can move at their own pace and do their own projects. It is UNBELIEVABLE how cheap that is ($2.50 a month for two months).
- It teaches GREAT problem-solving skills. I love watching my girls figure out how to make a program work through trial and error and troubleshooting. It’s even fun for me!
- It makes coding and STEM feel fun and engaging. It’s a huge priority at our house for our girls to feel comfortable and capable in math and science and technology subjects and CodeSpark is a wonderful way for them to begin engaging in these subjects at early ages.
Last summer, they had a special they ran where it was $5 for a 2 month subscription. I found out they weren’t offering that widely this year, but they agreed to make an exclusive offer for it for me which I am THRILLED about (and did I immediately use my code EVERYDAYREADING5 to sign up for my own 2 month subscription? You bet I did!).
Have you tried CodeSpark? If so, I’d love to hear what you think about it!
If you liked this post about CodeSpark, you might like these posts too:
- My Favorite Kids Headphones
- All About Ella’s Frozen Cookie Dough Business
- Books about the First Day of School
Photos by Heather Mildenstein
How long is the code good for?
Janssen Bradshaw says
I’m not sure – they haven’t told me an end date, so hopefully at least a few more weeks!
How long is this deal good for? Could I sign up in July and get July and August at that price?
Janssen Bradshaw says
The haven’t given me an end date so I think you should be okay!
Bonnie Lieu says
What would you recommend for kids ages 9 and up? My kids did codespark last summer and loved it, but I’m wondering if my older daughter might need something harder. Thanks!