Day in the Life

A Day in the Life: Three Child Edition

A few things first.

One, there’s a giveaway at the bottom of this post so. . . don’t miss that.

Second, the last time I did one of these Day in the Life posts was shortly after Ani was born (I’ve done a few of them since then on Disney Baby and invariably I got a ton of nasty and bizarre comments on them with people saying things like “This mom has her toenails painted in one of those pictures. What sort of mom has time for that?!”).

Third, this post follows the general rule that you behave better when you’re tracking something. Writing down what I was doing all day made me waste less time and be more productive than I might have been otherwise. Also, this was a Monday which is by FAR my most productive day of the week. By Friday, I’m pretty much good only for going out to lunch. So it’s not like every single day of my life is exactly like this.

And. . .with those ten million asides, carry on reading all the sure-to-be-fascinating details of my Monday.

3:45 a.m. Star wakes up and I feed her.

4:00 a.m. Back to sleep.

7:00 a.m. Ella comes in and hops into bed with us. I go in and out of sleep for about 15 minutes until Ani wakes up and Bart takes them both down for breakfast (bless him). We pretty much always have cold cereal for breakfast, with bananas and dried cranberries on top because I love cereal and also because it’s super fast and my girls want to eat breakfast approximately ten seconds after they wake up. Also, there’s a $2 coupon for Cheerios and Florida orange juice so. . .win.

Better Breakfast

8:02 a.m. I wake up feeling way less tired. I look at my phone for a few minutes.

8:09 a.m. Star wakes up. I feed her and read a chapter of The Fringe Hours.

8:25 a.m. Star drifts back off and I strip the sheets from the bed and take down the whites to toss in the washer. Bart is reading books to the girls on the couch and they’re all giggling over Peanut Butter & Cupcakes. Bart heads upstairs to take a shower, I put out some meat to defrost for dinner, and then the girls and I snuggle up on the couch to do some Can You See What I See?

8:40 a.m. Bart brings down Star who apparently wasn’t quite done with breakfast and I nurse her while the girls keep looking at the book which quickly dissolves into major tears since they BOTH want to hold it. I finish up with Star and we read some other books that cause less mayhem.

9:05 a.m. We head upstairs where Bart is finishing getting ready and the girls hop in the bathtub. I send a few quick emails and do some blog work.

9:35 a.m. Girls are ready to get out the bath. I towel them off and get them both dressed (Ani picks a dress that needs ironing, so I whip out the iron – very unusual for a weekday – and press her dress and Ella’s skirt). Star is getting fussy again, so I nurse her quickly.

10:00 a.m. Ani asks to paint while I take a shower, so I get her set up downstairs. While I’m down there, I realize I haven’t eaten breakfast yet, and I’m starving, so I have a quick bowl of breakfast too. I switch the laundry and then head up to jump in the shower.

10:30 a.m. Now that I’m all ready for the day, I go back downstairs and discover that Ani has sloshed her painting water all over the floor. Lovely. I wipe it up and get her changed since her dress is now soaking wet. I switch the laundry again.

Up the Stairs

10:45 a.m. Ella’s playing in her room still, so I sneak out front to take some outfit photos for a post this week. But after one photo, my remote stops working (curses!) so this plan is shot. After fooling with it for a few minutes, I go back inside and put away the first load of laundry and remake the bed with the newly cleaned sheets. Then I curl Ella’s hair and put away the curling iron.

11:15 a.m. The girls and I go downstairs to the kitchen and make dinner (we’re having these sweet potato tin foil dinners from Perry’s Plate). Ella really wants to try peeling one of the potatoes, and to my amazement, she manages the peel the entire thing on her own. Ani, of course, has to have a go too. While they are peeling, I call Verizon to ask about exchanging my new phone since the battery life is abysmal.

Cooking with Kids

11:45 a.m. We finish dinner prep and clean up the kitchen. Star is snoozing, so we read a bunch of library books on the couch. After a bit, Star starts making noises, so I nurse her so we can go on a walk. I change Ani’s diaper, put in another load of laundry, and put Star in her carseat and then snap it into the stroller while the girls put their shoes on.

12:40 p.m. The girls grab their bikes and scooters and we’re off. I warn the girls we don’t have a super long time, and we enjoy the lovely weather as they cruise around the neighborhood. Star sleeps the entire time.

Scooters for Preschoolers

1:05 p.m. We get home, I switch the laundry again, and start lunch prep. I make the girls quesadillas and do an egg-in-the-hole for me. Once they’ve finished their quesadillas, I offer them some strawberries, but Ani has a massive tantrum about not getting to wash them herself. She is prostrate on the kitchen floor shrieking while I do the dishes, but is finally convinced to calm down by the offer of putting the dish soap in the dishwasher. She finishes her strawberries and we head upstairs to put both girls down for naps and quiet time.

1:35 p.m. I eat a few bites of leftover pie from Pi Night and then bring Star upstairs in her carseat where she’s still sleeping and we go into my office so I can work while the girls are down. I look at a few blogs, work on this post, and order a t-shirt (I did a mega purge of my clothing last week, and I’m trying to fill in the gaps).

2:15 p.m. I write two posts for Brightly, apply for a couple of campaigns, and IM with Bart about a flier he’s working on. Ella comes in and grabs the iPad so she can listen to the next Boxcar Children book for the rest of her quiet time.

3:20 p.m. I do some research about future posts for Cardstore and send an email to my editor. And finally respond to some of the emails that have been languishing in my inbox since before Star was born (oops).

3:39 p.m. I hear Ani start to wake up and Ella comes in to show me the art projects she was working on. Star is still sleeping and I’m starting to leak through my shirt. . . Ani isn’t making any sounds anymore, so Ella and I go in the bedroom and I start putting away some more laundry.

3:50 p.m. Ani’s awake for sure now, so Ella gets her out of her tent and I change her diaper and we run outside to get the mail. There’s a big Twice box waiting for me (yippee!), and I bring it inside, and then we eat some trail mix granola bars for snack.

4:00 p.m. The girls sit out on the back porch and eat their snack, while I go back upstairs to fold more laundry. I hear Bart come home and I take my camera stuff down and make him shoot my outfit photos since I still can’t get the goofy remote to work. The girls insist on taking a boatload of photos after I’m done. I put the tinfoil packets in the oven to cook and unload the dishwasher.

Toddler Self Portraits

4:30 p.m. I come back up and finish putting away the girls’ laundry (hallelujah!). This baby is still sleeping. The whole reason Bart came home early was so I could go to the grocery store, but I don’t dare leave since she’s been sleeping so long and is sure to wake up starving the moment I drive away. The girls and I set the table for dinner (we’re having a little outdoor picnic at Ella’s request).

5:05 p.m. She finally wakes up and I nurse her while looking at Instagram and reading a few blogs. A friend stops by to drop off some chairs for a party and after I’m done nursing, I go downstairs and visit with her for a few minutes.

5:30 p.m. Bart and I decide I should go to the grocery store even though it’s so much later than planned. I turn off the oven and pack up Star and Ani and head out, leaving Bart and Ella home to play together. We zip through the store as fast as possible and Ani charms everyone at checkout by politely asking for stickers.

Britax Carseat

6:15 p.m. Home again, home again. Bart brings in the groceries while I whip up some guacamole and get out all the toppings for our sweet potato dinners.

6:30 p.m. Dinner! The weather is gorgeous and we all enjoy eating outside, while Star snoozes in her carseat.

Family Picnic

7:00 p.m. The girls play together while I put away the groceries and dinner food, and Bart does the dishes. I take the girls upstairs and get them both in jammies, then Bart arrives and we each brush one girl’s teeth. We read a scripture story and have family prayer and then toss the girls into bed.

7:20 p.m. The house is quiet! Bart puts away the last of his laundry and then he retreats into his office to get stuff done for school, and I come downstairs to work on this post and edit pictures for tomorrow’s post. I listen to Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less while I edit.

8:30 p.m. Star wakes up, and I take her upstairs to feed her. Then I grab my box of clothes from Twice and try them all on.

Baby Bouncer

9:15 p.m. Bart comes into the closet and we spend quite a while talking about a project he’s working on.

9:55 p.m. I box up the items I’m not going to keep from Twice and print out my return shipping label. I grab the last towels from the dryer and put them away, and then do a few quick things online (email, Pinterest, etc) while Bart finishes up his email.

10:35 p.m. Bart is still on his computer, so I snuggle with Star a little, put on my pajamas, take off my makeup, and get a few last things from downstairs.

11:00 p.m. White Collar time! I nurse Star while we watch and then Bart holds her until she falls asleep. I put her down and brush my teeth.

12:00 a.m. Time for bed (and it is laaaaate). Goodnight!

(P.S. And then we got woken up at 2 a.m. because Ani had thrown up and needed a bath and to have her whole bed scrubbed out and then Ella woke me up at both 3 a.m. and 4 a.m. to tell me she couldn’t sleep. Kids, man).

And! A quick giveaway for $15 to try out Cheerios and Orange Juice. Because if there’s anything better than a fast breakfast, it’s a free breakfast.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

You Might Also Like


  • Reply Kristen Miles March 19, 2015 at 11:45 am

    When I track things I'm way more productive, also when I actually plan out my week, that's when I kill it! Days when I don't have anything that has to be done, those are the worst. I'm also really impressed with how much work you get done. I've been amazed at how you continue to produce great content even while dealing with a newborn and two adorable helpers. It's actually pretty inspirational.

    PS- the asides crack me up, keep them coming!

  • Reply Rachel March 19, 2015 at 11:47 am

    You are remarkably productive for having a newborn! So fun to get a peek into your day!

  • Reply CoolGreenDays March 19, 2015 at 12:35 pm

    Adore this post! Feel like I have been sipping a coffee in your kitchen – watching but not helping! Horror! Please do a post like this again 🙂 xx Lori

  • Reply missris March 19, 2015 at 1:00 pm

    I too am blown away by how productive you are with a newborn (and two other little ones) in tow. Seriously, you're making the rest of us look bad 😉

  • Reply myr_heille March 19, 2015 at 1:17 pm

    I love these posts! I'm also amazed by you – particularly that you manage to make real meals for the kids three times a day. (Well, one is easier.) You also need way less sleep than I do!

  • Reply Paige Flamm March 19, 2015 at 1:52 pm

    Ha… so be sure to NOT read my blog tomorrow, unless you really want to read basically the entire thing you just wrote here with a different font color 😉 And it really is mind blowing how much older kids wake up when you have a baby… after my third time getting up with Kyle last night I told Derek that we probably won't ever sleep through the night again haha

  • Reply Mary Frances March 19, 2015 at 2:09 pm

    I love these posts!

  • Reply Sarah March 19, 2015 at 2:14 pm

    How are you watching White Collar? I am reluctant to pay for it on Amazon.

  • Reply Lauren and Joe O'Brien March 19, 2015 at 2:46 pm

    I love how you keep your focus on food, laundry,and the kids (reading, walks, etc). My days are a lot like that too.

  • Reply Kristin @ Going Country March 19, 2015 at 2:53 pm

    Out of all the things in this post, I most appreciated the mention of Ani freaking out because she didn't get to wash her own strawberries. I can just picture that super-fun scene. Because my 2.5-year-old is still in that stage, too, and heaven forbid anyone (GRANDMA) dare to get the forks out of the drawer for dinner. Or whatever. Seriously, how do their brains work that this becomes the end of the world? Mysterious.

  • Reply Cami Hall March 19, 2015 at 4:07 pm

    Oh that sweet new babe! I just want to hug and snuggle her!

  • Reply kimmie March 19, 2015 at 5:20 pm

    I love your day in the life posts! Even if they make me feel like super lazy because I don't get done half as much as you. 🙂 your girls are so precious!

  • Reply Patrick&Selena Pallas March 19, 2015 at 6:37 pm

    Bless you! I have 3 kids also, and I am glad that I am not the only mama that has trouble taking a shower before noon. This mom job is the REAL deal!.

  • Reply Suzanne March 19, 2015 at 7:29 pm

    How you can be this productive on so little sleep blows my mind. If I'm woken up more than once in the night, I'm basically catatonic the next day.

  • Reply Aleta March 19, 2015 at 7:31 pm

    I was so hoping you'd write one of these! I didn't want to have to ask again! 🙂 also, we are expecting our third in September so I always like to see what I'm getting myself into. Although, to echo everyone else, I'm not nearly as productive as you are. Maybe I should start blogging so I can get more done in a day!

  • Reply Stephanie March 19, 2015 at 9:23 pm

    Random question–have you tried putting all 3 girls in your stroller? I'm just wondering if there is anyway to put two of them on one seat or something. I'm expecting our third in a few months and love the look and compact-ness of your stroller, although I'd love to be able to squeeze all three on sometimes.

  • Reply Dani Oldroyd March 19, 2015 at 9:34 pm

    Love it! I need to do a post like this sometime. You don't realize how busy you are until you write it all down! 🙂

  • Reply Feisty Harriet March 19, 2015 at 10:17 pm

    I love these kinds of posts!!


    • Reply Feisty Harriet March 19, 2015 at 10:26 pm

      Also, my toenails are painted ALL THE TIME. Always. I invest in serious polish and a serious top coat so it will last a few weeks, and I just take the 10 minutes to do it. It makes me feel more "dressed" than any other thing. So, the people who are Judgey McJudgerson on your pedicure need to chill the heck out. The time they spend leaving troll-y comments on blogs could be spent on their cuticles. Srsly.


  • Reply Katie March 21, 2015 at 1:46 pm

    Are you enjoying the Fringe Hours? It's on my list of books to read, but my local library doesn't have it. Would it be worth purchasing?

  • Reply Meridith March 22, 2015 at 3:00 am

    This was fun to read. Our dates with a newborn usually started at 11:00 pm too. 🙂

  • Reply Emma March 23, 2015 at 9:47 am

    I remember reading the comments on that Disney Baby post and thinking people were so weirdly angry and acted like parenthood was the end of the world and a terrible chore. Sure there's obviously bad days and lots of work, but I think your days sound realistic and lovely (if very productive like others have said!). I think some people only want to hear about bad things so they can feel their situation isn't so bad? Or they are just mean 🙂 I like knowing other mums like motherhood too! (though I have a way messier house than you. If you replace any mention of putting away laundry with reading a book then it's more accurate 🙂 )

  • Reply Lindsay Scalco March 23, 2015 at 10:38 pm

    I don't know why this was so fun to read, but it really was. I need a nap just from thinking about how crazy your day was.

  • Reply A Day in the Life – Everyday Reading April 17, 2017 at 11:37 am

    […] been just about two years since I did one of these posts. Last time, Star was just a month old, Bart was in school instead of working full-time and we were […]

  • Reply A Day in the Life – Everyday Reading April 17, 2017 at 11:37 am

    […] been just about two years since I did one of these posts. Last time, Star was just a month old, Bart was in school instead of working full-time and we were […]

  • Leave a Reply