I love audiobooks as a gift.
Whether it’s a Beverly Cleary collection for a child to listen to on repeat, a buzzy new bestseller you know your sister will love (but won’t ever read if you give her a hard copy), or an obscure non-fiction title for your history buff dad, it’s a no-fail gift.
It’s super simple to gift an Audible book and I’ll show you step-by-step directions to do it!
But first, a couple of things to know about gifting an Audible audiobook.
- You don’t need to be an Audible member to give an Audible book as a gift. As long as you’re logged in with your Amazon account, you’ll have all the options for gifting I’ll describe below. Note that if you are NOT an Audible member, the price of the audiobook is usually going to be quite a bit more expensive. For instance, the Ramona Quimby collection is $42.20 for non-members, but only $29.54 for members. So it may be worth it to sign up for an Audible membership before you send an Audible book as a gift because you’ll come out even or ahead plus get at least a month of Audible Plus and an audiobook of your choice to keep forever. (If you have an Audible Plus membership, rather than Audible Premium Plus, you will not get that member pricing).
- The person you are giving the Audible book to as a gift does not need to be an Audible member. They WILL need to download the free Audible app in order to listen, but giving them an Audible gift book does not require them to sign up for a membership or pay anything.
- You can use your membership credits to gift audiobooks. Drowning in extra credits? This is a great way to use them up – when you check out, it’ll give you the option to pay for them with a credit card or use your credit to pay for them instead.
- You cannot gift Audible books from Amazon.com. This is a bummer, because sometimes there are smoking audiobook book deals on Amazon and you won’t be able to gift them. You can only gift Audible books from the Audible site.
- You cannot gift Audible books from the Audible app if you’re using an iPhone but if you’re using an Android device, it will allow you to gift directly from the app.
All that said, here’s are step-by-step directions for how to gift an Audible book.
How to Gift an Audible Book
Go to Audible.com and search for the title you want to gift.
When the title in question comes up, click on it and you’ll see a button on the right hand side that says “More Options.”
Click that button and choose “Give as Gift.”
A screen will open that lets you fill in the information for your giftee, write a note, and choose what day the email is sent to them (or you can choose to print off a gift note with the redemption code and deliver it yourself).
Then, when you check out, it will show you the price and give you the option to pay with a credit card or to use your Audible credits to pay for it.
(Spoiler – it will be cheaper 99% of the time to use your Audible credits to give an Audible gift. Audible always will offer you an option to buy more credits if you run out and usually at a cheaper price than your monthly membership fee (generally $10-12 each). So it makes no sense to pay $20-30 for an audiobook gift when you could use your credits instead).
And there you have it! Your Audible gift is on its way!
Any questions about how to gift an Audible book to someone? I’m happy to help!
if you liked this post about how to gift an audible book, you might also like these other posts:
- 75 Audiobooks to Listen to This Year
- The Best Full Cast Audiobooks
- How to Fit in More Audiobook Listening During the Holiday Season