The winner was Kathleen with her vote for East by Edith Pattou. I’ve put in the request for it from the library and I’m excited to get started. (And, er, I did read The Girl with the Silver Eyes early on last month, but just haven’t gotten around to finishing my review yet. Coming soon!)
There were some seriously good suggestions this month. I wish I could read them all immediately. Alas, I am not a lady of leisure with unlimited reading time.
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Tina and Peaceful Reader)
- We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates (Saskia)
- Uglies by Scott Westerfield (Mary)
- The Ugly Pumpkin by Davie Horowtiz (Steph)
- Life of Pi by Yann Martel (RA)
- Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin (Sherry)
- The Magician’s Assistant by Ann Patchett (Kelly J)
- The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (Stacy)
- What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson (Kayla)
- Marie Antoinette: The Journey by Antonia Fraser (Melanie)
- Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner (Zillah)
- The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley (Jennifer)
- These is my Words by Nancy Turner (Sammy)
- The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (Becca and Miri)
- Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (Katie)
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson (Shelly)
- Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (Jenny)
- Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Murrillier (Angiegirl and Science Teacher Mommy)
- Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton (Heidikins)
- Drums, Girls, And Dangerous Pie by Jordon Sonneblick (Katie)
- Thirsty by Tracey Bateman (Lorielle)
- The Rag and Bone Shop by Robert Cormier (Angela Noelle)
- Gilead by Marilynne Robison (Jenna)
- Cat’s Eye by Margaret Atwood (Amy Sorenson)
- Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America by Firoozeh Dumas (Tootie)
- Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster (Carly Jane)
- Autumn Street by Lois Lowry (Jessica)
- The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey (Megan)
- The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kaye (Lynn)
- The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman (Jenn)
- East of Eden by John Steinbeck (Merry)
Of these, I’ve read:
- Uglies by Scott Westerfield
- These Is My Words by Nancy Turner
I think that’s the least I’ve read of any month so far! Time to get cracking, clearly.
Hm, maybe people need to lobby for their suggestions to rally others to their cause. You know, plump up the ballot box? 🙂
Ben and Summer says
LOOOOVE that book! Also a couple others by Pattau, but East is my fav:)
Ha! Finally I picked one you haven't read. Ha ha ha ha ha. ha. 🙂
WooHoo – my book was the winner!!!! I'm 99% sure you'll like it and excited to hear what you have to say.
East is a good choice, I just read it a little while ago. If you like retellings, you'll probably enjoy this!
Feeling overwhelmed by a list of books you haven't read cracks me up; you are the most avaricious reader I (kind of) know! It's how I feel everytime I look at a list of good books…
Peaceful Reader says
You will get around to The Help somotime! My daughter and I checked out a few Amanda Pig books and have really loved them. Thank you!!
Hold up! You haven't read Daddy-Long-Legs? SO romantical.
Wait…do you do fluentbrittish's blogger book exchange?