I am in serious crockpot mode over here.
Between a calendar full of fun holiday activities and now the lazy days of vacation between Christmas and New Year’s, I definitely don’t want to be spending all my time fussing over dinner.
Plus, there’s nothing more cozy than the smell of something amazing simmering in the crockpot.
I made this green chili enchilada soup for the first time in 2016 when I went on a quick solo trip to San Francisco and Seattle and needed something that Bart and the girls could eat for dinner after I’d flown out.
When I came back a few days later, there was one bowl’s worth left in the fridge and it was SO ridiculously good, I had to make it again where I could eat more than one serving of it.
Usually, I make my crockpot recipes on low so they can cook all day and you could certainly do that with this crockpot green chili, but I’ve been making it after lunch and cooking it on high so it’s ready in a few hours.
Either way, it’s super quick to throw together and tastes like heaven.
If you liked this crockpot green chili recipe, you might also like this recipes:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Easiest Crockpot French Dip Sandwiches
- Creamy Chicken Crockpot Stew
Creamy Crockpot Green Chili Recipe
Creamy Green Enchilada Crockpot Soup
- 3 chicken breasts frozen is fine
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup mild green enchilada sauce or green salsa
- 1 4 oz can mild diced green chiles
- 2 cups water or chicken broth I usually do water with one bullion cube
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 - 1 teaspoon chili powder depending on your spicy tolerance (any kind is fine, but I usually use a chipotle chili powder)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice I use basmati
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- salt and pepper I usually add 1 teaspoon of salt, but if you're using chicken broth, you may not need any
Put everything in the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4. Shred the chicken with two forks and stir to combine everything well.
Salt and pepper to taste and serve hot (you can add cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese, corn chips, or diced avocados, if you'd like).
(adapted from Lil' Luna)