I do not enjoy dressing up for Halloween (some people have the self-assurance to wear ridiculous costumes in public and feel completely at ease. I am not one of those people). Having a child to wear a costume on Halloween is the best thing that’s ever happened to me because I feel like the pressure for me to dress up has diminished greatly.
But I do like to have something festive to wear when we attend Halloween functions (this year, between church, the MBA, and actual Halloween, it appears we’ll be attending some 5 Halloween events). I just don’t want that festive something to be overly cheesy.
So when we decided to do a mini makeover this week, I thought a Halloween shirt would be perfect.
And I had a black shirt that’s been waiting for some making over for more than a year. I really like the fit of the shirt, but it’s mega-boring, and the neckline was unflatteringly high.
I thought some pumpkins across the front would be fun, but I didn’t want them to be orange. I settled on gold instead, but then, somehow, I misplaced the bottle of gold paint and when I was searching through my paint drawer I found a bottle of copper rose paint left over from when I did this Halloween project last year.
Copper seemed even BETTER than gold – still metallic and shimmery, but a little closer to the orange of pumpkins.
I whipped up a quick little design, printed it out, and used this fabric painting technique to paint it on.
And I also cut the neckline out and added a little slit down the front to make it not quite so crew-neck looking.
And, now I pretty much love it. Win.
And, of course, after I was done taking pictures, Ella insisted on taking some of me with Ani. And now I’m insisting on inflicting a couple of them on you.