I make no pretenses that I’m some makeup or beauty guru (you’re looking at my blog and thinking, “No kidding, Janssen”).
I don’t like wearing a lot of makeup and I really don’t want it to take up very much of my time, but after six months of experimenting with some different products and slowly getting the hang of how to actually wear makeup like a grown-up, here are the five products that make me happy every single morning.
(Sadly, none of these are mascara, because I have yet to find a mascara that totally blows me away, but once my current one runs out, I’m planning on giving the Boots No7 Stay Perfect Mascara a spin because one of my friends who is way more of a makeup connoisseur than I am highly recommended it).
- Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35 – I was using bareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream, recommended to me by one of the epmloyees at Sephora, which I liked, but then one of my Sephora purchases came with a sample of the this Smashbox BB cream and I used it once and was immediately sold. It goes on so smoothly, weighs nothing, and evens everything out. I’ve used other foundations that I felt like made my skin slowly worse over time, and this one, after six months, my skin looks BETTER, not worse.
- Supergoop! Defense Refresh Setting Mist SPF 50 – I got this in the PopSugar MustHave box back in July and it was kind of fun and I figured a little extra SPF couldn’t hurt me. But then after a few months, I forgot to put it on one morning after I’d put on my makeup and when I happened to look in the mirror after lunch, I was like, “What happened to all my makeup?!” It seriously keeps everything in place (it says to reapply every couple of hours which I’ve done exactly never. Once in the morning and that’s it).
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Duo Brow Powder – Merrick raves about this and after having used a different one for a while, I’m in agreement. And an angled brush makes all the difference.
- bareMinerals Pop of Passion Lip Oil-Balm in Tangerine Pop – I got a set of three colors of these lip oil balms and I was like, “well, I’m never going to be using this bright orange one, obviously.” And then I tried it on one morning and it immediately became my favorite. Despite the lurid casing, it goes on pretty neutral and just makes me look a little more awake but not made up. I always put this $5 lip balm on beforehand and it is the BEST.
- bareMinerals Marvelous Moxie Lipstick in Raise the Bar – I got this at Alt Summit a couple of years ago and it is my all-time favorite lipstick. It’s a little dark for summer wear, I think, but when I got it back out in November, I was like “oh yeah, this is the best lipstick ever.”