One great thing about doing 31 for 31 is that I feel like I don’t need nearly as many items of clothing as I’ve thought in the past that I do.
The other great thing is that it’s helped me identify more clearly what I’m really missing in my closet. Instead of just randomly shopping, I can say, “I really need more than one pair of shorts, what with living on the surface of the sun for 5 months of the year. Also more bottles of sunscreen.”
Here are a couple of the things I’m looking for to finish off my closet for the summer.
1) A pair of tennis shoes that don’t look like I’m coming from the gym. I’ve loved every pair of sparkly, metallic shoes I’ve ever owned, but it had never occurred to me to buy a pair of metallic tennis shoes (or tennies, as we always called them when I was growing up), until I saw this pair on Shoe Dazzle.
2) A sun hat. Bart bought me one for Mother’s Day a few years ago and I wore it until it was the saddest looking thing you’ve ever seen in your life. It finally had to be retired this year. Ella has become a pool nut this summer, so I’m definitely going to need one.
3) A simple, long-ish necklace. Having anything heavy around my neck in the summer makes me so uncomfortable. I love these simple sets. Plus, they are inexpensive enough that if one of my darling daughters breaks it, I will only be mildly annoyed (lies. I’ll be really annoyed).
4) A pair of white jeans. I’ve ordered a bunch of pairs from Old Navy in every conceivable size, but so far have struck out. Any suggestions?
5) A chambray shirt. I know I’m the last person on the face of the earth to buy one. Someone has to be the very final person to pick up on a trend. (I will also happily take this girl’s hair, thank you).
6) A pair of colored shorts. I’ve been so taken with colored pants in the last year or so (and they are so easy to wear with my endless supply of boring shirts), that I’m pretty sure I need a summer version. I’m thinking I might just hem the bright blue pair of jeans I own that are kind of an awkward length at the moment.