You’ve Had a Birthday; Shout Hooray!

August 30, 2013

Today is my mom’s birthday.

I wish she was here so we could celebrate together – we could go out for lunch (I’d pick Thai food, since it’s one we both really love), get a pedicure, and then wander around a bookstore together. Probably we’d need to stop in at Anthropologie too, and spend the majority of our time looking at dishes and books. Almost all the things I love in life and things I learned to love from my mom.

I often hear about how parents seem perfect when you’re a child and then you get older and see all their flaws.

For me, the older I get, the more I’m impressed with my mom and what a marvelous parent she was and continues to be.

And I especially enjoy spending time with her now that I’m an adult too – there’s no one I’d rather spend the afternoon with.

Instead, I’ll have to make do with sending a little gift (Mom, don’t click that link until you open your present or you’ll ruin evvvvvverything) across the country and waiting patiently until September when she comes to visit.

Picture taken five days after my birth. It completely boggles my mind that I’m a good 5 years older now than she was in this picture.

You Might Also Like

15 Comments

• Reply Ash August 30, 2013 at 10:57 am

So sweet! And you reeeeally favor her in that last picture.

• Reply Karen August 30, 2013 at 11:29 am

It is mind boggling, isn't it? Especially to those of us who have pictures that old. You do have a most wonderful mother, and I, too, want to wish her happy birthday. Also, I agree with Ash. Though your mom doesn't look like your mom to me (at least in that picture), you do quite a bit like her.

• Reply missris August 30, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Wow Ella looks so much like your dad! I love that picture 🙂

• Reply Elaine August 30, 2013 at 12:25 pm

A very happy birthday to your mom! Is she coming to celebrate your birthday?

• Reply Nicole Murray August 30, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Your parents are SO cute! That picture just radiates happiness.

My mom got married at 18, had me when she was 19, and then the rest of us within 7 years. So, when my mom was 2 years younger than I am now, she had 5 children. Looking back now, I'm amazed that she came through it sane, let alone that we all turned out pretty well. 🙂

• Reply Rachel August 30, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I agree! My mom's brilliance increases every day. And the fact that she's already raised six kids? Gold mine. Happy birthday to your mom, I'm sure she's a wonderful person for having such wonderful daughters

• Reply RA August 30, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Happy birthday, Grancie!

• Reply Jenae August 30, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I love LOVE your mother. Happy birthday to her!

• Reply Kristen August 30, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I love my mom too! She's sorta the greatest.

Happy birthday to your mom, she's beautiful.

• Reply Jennie August 30, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I love this so much. Happy birthday to your mom!

• Reply M August 30, 2013 at 6:37 pm

This is such a sweet post! Happy birthday to your mom! 🙂

• Reply Morris August 30, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Such a sweet post. I, too, am more impressed with my mom as I get older and experience more (children, housework, life in general). I think I may need to treat myself to that gift. Also, are there other things to look at in Anthropologie? I guess I saw clothes there once…

• Reply Lisa {MoneyHipMamas.com} August 30, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Do you have your day's eyes or what? That seems kind of creepy to say considering I don't know you in real life. Sorry so creepy!

• Reply Carole August 30, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Lou, thanks for this lovely post! I'm not sure I would have chosen this photo. . .unless I was YOU and looking so very very pretty in your little pink dress. I am glad that Karen does not recognize me from this 🙂 I too wish we could spend today together — you mentioned all the most FUN things we like to do together!! Hopefully we'll be doing those soon in NC. Can't wait! It's been a GREAT DAY. Can't wait to talk to you later. Love you, sweetie.

• Reply JoLee August 30, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Moms are the best. Like Lisa, I am sitting here trying to figure out who looks like who in your family. I think you look a lot like your mom but with your dad's eyes. You all are a good-looking bunch.